Make your vote count
Note: the following information should be considered only as a guide. It is not official election advice, endorsement or instruction.
Voters are asked to consider all the facts, conduct their own research and make an informed decision.
Save Our Spit Alliance accepts no liability for our guide to candidates. The guide is only pertinent to issues related to our organisation's aims and objects and does not consider the full spectrum of candidates' policies and histories. Information on this website is offered without warranty or condition. We do not endorse any single candidate and remind voters that it is their responsibility to conduct due diligence before voting for the candidate of their choice.
This guide is intended as one part of that comprehensive process.
SOSA is 100% run by volunteers for our community.
- We have no staff or rented premises
- Nor do we reimburse our volunteers for any monies expended for SOSA (e.g. air fares, petrol, mobile phone usage etc) except in rare and special circumstances
- All funds received are used to fulfill our objectives - e.g. pay for security, park, equipment and room hire for rallies, information days and community meetings. And to purchase stickers, and produce flyers and posters.
- No monies are expended without formal approval by our Executive and cheques are co-signed by two authorised Committee members.
Colour Code Guide
1. Opposition to cruise ship terminal (CST) on Spit & Broadwater
2. Support a Community-led Masterplan for the Spit and Broadwater.
3. Adherence to 3 storey non-residential developments on unallocated crown-land on South-western Spit as per City Plan 2016
4. Support for changes to Local Government Act to bring back democratic operations of Local Govt. and return Mayoral role simply to 'Chair of the Board'.
5. Support for laws to ban developer political donations at State and Local Govt levels.
6. Investigation into GCCC expenditure, Mayoral overseas trips, RTI processes, redacted and hidden reports, delegated authority approvals and Councillor 'conflict of interest' protocols and developer donations.
7. Opposition to private/commercial/industrial developments north of Sheraton on East side of Spit and north of Seaworld on west side of Spit and on the Broadwater and its sand banks, foreshores and Islands.
8. Opposition to casinos and mega-resort developments on the Spit and Broadwater.
9. Opposition to the GCCC sale/lease/giveaway of Council assets including public open space, parks, lakes, waterways, islands and beaches.
10. Has consulted willingly, openly and with integrity in their dealings with the Gold Coast Community.